Friday, January 22, 2010

Up On The Roof

Photos are of the apartment building, views from the roof,
bedroom, living room, entry to the roof from stairs and lovely tiles.













It came out of the blue - teacher vacancy for the International British School, Cairo until June 30th. Both of us thought why not? I would have loved some time at home having spent only about a week there in the past year but the thought of new horizons always appeals and I probably didn’t have a much of chance getting the job….. never anticipating that five days later I would be zooming round the globe to the Middle East again. When we left Amman I thought that was it – never say never aye.
Welcome to Egypt as I put out my hand to get my money from the money changer at the airport he slipped his greasy hand over mine ah yuk. The Head of Primary was amazingly there to greet me at 5.30 in the morning. My first impression is the one that has stayed with me, a good bloke. The school driver took me to the hotel with the swimming pool overlooking the Nile where I spent the next couple of days enjoying coming down to earth….down with a thud - day 3 at school, meeting my new class – trying to fight the rising panic of newness. My class had bare walls while my two other Year 6 colleagues the picture of calm with systems in place- how I envied them. But nice guys! Somehow I got through those awful first days swallowing the discomfort on the trot. My class has no real issues behaviour wise, unbelievable. Egyptian, Scottish, Canadian, England, Pakistan students – it’s an interesting mix. There are about 10 kiwi teachers and 8 of them from Christchurch working at the school! Lucky find - a rooftop apartment near school in New Cairo - love the 360 views!


Photos are of Mr Ali, the security man, the entry to the school and the school field.

No comments:

Post a Comment